Friday, May 9, 2008

The trade Dress

Another Etsy artist asked if we could trade. Now, I've done this before on AmityMama, and perhaps once on Diaperswappers, and I'm usually hesitant because, frankly, I'm usually left feeling like I got the lesser end of the deal. There I said it, I am a knitting snob. I think it takes far more time and effort to do what I do then most other crafts.



This time, I think it will be a much more even deal. I'm even a little bit excited to be honest. It's much more fun when the trade feels fair.


But this dress had a rough start, and I had to start the top over...well because I've not added a decorative stripe to a cami in a while. In the past I just added it and because I usually do some shaping to the back of the cami, the stripe would come out looking just a tad off in the back. When I finished the first cami for this dress I decided to do without my usual shaping. It looked great...except, the bodice wasn't as stretchy as it normally is. It seems the shaping is very important and should not be forgone.


So I sat on the project for a day fuming and thinking. Then I came up with a new knitting innovation for the cami stripe...a new approach that allowed for both the stripe and the shaping. And now, this dress, and this lesson is complete.

Stripes will no longer look odd, it will look perfect!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I know exactly what you mean about swaps and not being an even trade. I hope you get something fantastic!